Tag Archives: News of the World

News of the World prepared Thatcher special

News of the World Thatcher commemorative issueThe News of the World prepared a special 16-page pull out to commemorate the life of former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher only for the paper to fall before she did.

The News of the World close almost two years ago, in July 2011, and its special Thatcher issue went down with the News International-owned newspaper. Read more on News of the World prepared Thatcher special…

Sun on Sunday to launch on Sunday, big sales expected

Last week Rupert Murdoch told us that the Sun on Sunday will launch very soon.

He wasn’t kidding. Last night the news broke that The Sun on Sunday will launch this coming Sunday, February 26. The announcement comes seven months after News Corporation shut down the troubled News of the World.

The launch of the paper is announced boldly on the front page of the Sun this morning.

“Next weekend will see the birth of the first ever Sunday edition of your favourite paper. Rupert Murdoch announced last week that The Sun on Sunday would be coming “very soon”. Now that momentous new dawn is here.” Read more on Sun on Sunday to launch on Sunday, big sales expected…

Sun journalists consider human rights challenge to News Corp inquiry team

An extraordinary battle appears to be shaping up at News International as Sun journalists battle management and the committee formed to to take responsibility for all matters regarding phone hacking. At the weekend the Management Standards Committee was responsible for the arrest of several sun journalist and contacts at the Sun raising fears that it was revealing legitimate contacts to the police.

This sparked a robust defence by Trevor Kavanagh in the paper on Monday and on TV and radio and now the Guardian is reporting that senior journalists at the Sun are considering a legal challenge to block the MSC. Read more on Sun journalists consider human rights challenge to News Corp inquiry team…

Should Rupert Murdoch sell the Sun?

Another weekend another clutch of Sun journalists have been arrested. This time five were arrested and bailed “over allegations of inappropriate payments to police”.

The infection that quickly killed the News of the World appears to be sapping the Sun. The arrests were the second round at the Sun and over the weekend and led to some calling for Rupert Murdoch to sell the paper and be done with his rotten British tabloid business, which has tarnished his global media empire. Read more on Should Rupert Murdoch sell the Sun?…

Murdoch to launch Sun on Sunday in April, says source

I wrote a few things last year about News International possibly launching The Sun on Sunday, in the wake of the demise of the News of the World, and how it could be a success.

It all went quiet on The Sun on Sunday front after that as the hacking saga rumbled on. We’ve heard nothing since October, but apparently a launch could again be back on the agenda with the new paper on our newsstands as early as the Spring. Read more on Murdoch to launch Sun on Sunday in April, says source…

How News International hid the phone-hacking scandal

After News International yesterday paid out what is expected to be a healthy seven figure sum to 37 phone hacking victims, who had been targeted by the News of the World, high court judge, Mr Justice Vos, said that the Rupert Murdoch-owned company had made “an admission of sorts” that it deliberately engaged in a cover-up of evidence relating to phone hacking.

The judge said he had seen evidence which raised “compelling questions about whether you [News Group Newspapers] concealed, told lies, actively tried to get off scot free”. Read more on How News International hid the phone-hacking scandal…

News International to payout to 37 hacking victims

News International has agreed to pay settlements to 37 victims of News of the World phone-hacking scandal in civil settlements. Among those receiving payouts are actor Jude Law, Labour MPs Denis MacShane and Chris Bryant, Ashley Cole and ex-Deputy Prime Minister Lord Prescott.

Most people pursuing damages from New International have now settled, according to lawyers. Law alone has been paid £130,000 in damages. Read more on News International to payout to 37 hacking victims…

Phone hacking: number of possible victims is almost 5,800

The Guardian is reporting this morning that the total number of possible phone hacking victims could stand at almost 5,800 — and that number could yet rise as the police investigation into News International and the News of the World continues.

That is incredible figure. That is the equivalent of hacking the entire population of a small town. More than that it is, as the Guardian notes, industrial in scale. Not a one man band, but a small business venture. Read more on Phone hacking: number of possible victims is almost 5,800…

Tom Watson buys News Corp shares and will attend the AGM

Labour MP Tom Watson, who has done so much to bring the News of the World phone hacking case into the light and led the charge against Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation, has taken it a step further.

He has bought shares in in the media giant and plans to head to Los Angeles in an effort to speak at what promises to be a very closely watched AGM on Friday. Read more on Tom Watson buys News Corp shares and will attend the AGM…

News of the World star showbiz reporter is arrested

The Guardian is reporting that James Desborough, the former US editor and award winning showbusiness reporter at the News of the World, has been arrested by London police investigating hacking allegations.

The newspaper’s site reports that Desborough was arrested on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications after arriving by appointment at a south London police station at 10.30am this morning. Read more on News of the World star showbiz reporter is arrested…

Latest jobs Jobs web feed